Home

Rock legend’s spat with music festival to go to state’s highest court

Nathan SchmidtNCA NewsWire
Rock legend John Fogerty has hit back at being dropped from the Country Fest Queensland line-up.
Camera IconRock legend John Fogerty has hit back at being dropped from the Country Fest Queensland line-up. Credit: NCA NewsWire

A popular country music festival has hit back at claims by rock legend John Fogerty that he was “blindsided” by his sudden removal from the event line-up.

The Creedence Clear Water Revival founder took to social media to vent frustration after he was cut from the March 31 festival in Bloombury, Queensland.

“I was ready to celebrate with you all for my one and only show this year in Australia when Country Fest Queensland blindsided me,” the Fortunate Son singer said.

“It was posted that I would not be seen appearing due to unforeseen circumstances. Well, I can tell you, my friends, I was not the reason for the circumstances.”

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

In a later video, Mr Fogerty added: “As far as I know I am ready, willing, and able to play (the festival). It’s a big disappointment for me what is going on right now.”

John Fogerty said he was “blindsided” by his sudden removal from an Australian music festival. Picture: Facebook
Camera IconJohn Fogerty said he was ‘blindsided’ by his sudden removal from an Australian music festival. Facebook Credit: NCA NewsWire

“I’m shocked, actually. I was really looking forward to, and planning to, play this concert … I’m really sorry to the fans that were looking forward to it. Me too.”The announcement drew the ire of attendees online, many of whom said they were going because of attend for Fogerty, and prompted a response from the festival.

In a statement on Wednesday, Country Fest Queensland said negotiations with the California signer’s team “had been in place for a number of months”.

“Those negotiations were well advanced and were seeking to be progressed by us with best endeavours,” they said.

Country Fest Queensland issued a statement on Facebook. Picture: Supplied
Camera IconCountry Fest Queensland issued a statement on Facebook. Supplied Credit: NCA NewsWire

“However, they did not reach a final outcome, resulting in negotiations ceasing on February 23.”

In a shock move, the country music festival said the matter would be sent to the state’s highest court.

“The matter is now subject to court proceedings in the Supreme Court of Queensland and is due to be heard in mid-March,” the statement said.

“Until such time as the proceedings are dealt with, we do not intend to comment further.”

Country Fest Queensland said it was working on a revised line-up for the event and more information was “coming soon”.

Anyone who no longer wanted to attend the festival following Fogerty’s ousting were urged to contact Oztix.

The reveal prompted angry responses from attendees, with some asking whether their tickets would now be reduced.

“Was this his decision or a festival decision as I’m reading something completely different from his page … very confusing,” said one user.

Another added: “My guess is they (Country Fest Queensland) can’t afford him, John would never let his fans down like this.”

In a bizarre exchange, one user accused the festival of “false advertising … no signed contact for the said artist, so why promote he will he attending?”

In response, Country Fest Queensland commented on the post that “he (Fogerty) promoted as well” with an emoji of a figure wearing glasses.

Originally published as Rock legend’s spat with music festival to go to state’s highest court

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails