The De Bie family caravan has now become the family home after the devastating loss of their Mariginiup property. Charred ash, brick walls and the metal balustrades around what was the verandah are all that is left of their Lakeview Street rental after fires ravaged Perth’s northern suburbs this week, destroying at least 10 properties. Speaking to The West Australian, mother-of-four Emma De Bie said she knew “deep down” when she drove away from her house on Wednesday that it would be destroyed. “I called my husband to come home from work because it was looking pretty bad,” she said. “The wind was so strong it was almost blowing me over. I thought, ‘I can’t see anything good coming of this’.” Mrs De Bie said the speed of the fire meant the family had very little time to collect valuables, load them into their caravan and get out. “My husband had about 30 minutes to hook up the caravan and the girls got home from school and just had time to pack a bag each,” she said. “We didn’t get much but at least we got photo albums (and) stuff my dad gave me when he passed away, and the kids got a backpack each.” Friends of the family offered a space for them to park their caravan while they waited for the fires to be controlled. They spent a restless Wednesday night there before returning to assess the damage on Thursday. “We didn’t sleep at all and you could hear like bombs going off the whole night,” Mrs De Bie said. “The whole sky was orange and I just had that feeling the house was gone. “My husband and I got up at 6am. They had all the roads blocked still but I told the lady, ‘I just need to know if it’s gone’, so she said, ‘Just go’. “We drove up and as soon as we went into the driveway, there was nothing left.” Mrs De Bie and her husband Shannon have lived at the home for the past six years with their children. Following numerous questions from friends about how they could support the family, Mrs De Bie established a fundraiser for people to donate to. Within 24 hours, $30,000 had been raised from more than 400 donors, with single contributions as high as $1500. “We are surrounded by so much love and I hope (everyone) else in this situation has got the same support,” Mrs De Bie said. “Shout out to all the people out there, particularly the softball community, they have been amazing.” While Mrs De Bie said she was still coming to terms with the loss of all of her family’s belongings, she was glad their neighbour’s property was still standing. She said the family were now considering whether to build something temporary on their land in Upper Swan. “We might even try get something built up there, even something small to move into temporarily,” Mrs De Bie said. “But there’s even been fires there and I’m a bit nervous about fires now.” The fires have burnt 1800ha and destroyed at least 10 homes, with Acting Premier Rita Saffioti indicating more houses could be confirmed as destroyed on Friday. Federal Emergency Management Minister Murray Watt said on Friday morning that any request from the State Government for emergency relief funding could be rapidly met.