NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirms one new local coronavirus case
Premier Gladys Berejiklian has confirmed New South Wales has recorded one new locally acquired case of coronavirus.
The new case is the wife of a man in his 50s from Sydney's eastern suburbs, who tested positive yesterday — bringing the number of locally acquired cases to two.
More than 11,500 people were tested for COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8:00pm last night, with the man's other close contacts so far testing negative.
NSW Health officials have also confirmed they now know how the Sydney man became infected with coronavirus after his wife tested positive to the virus as well.
Ms Berejiklian said "health detectives" had managed to trace the source of the man’s infection.
Genome analysis revealed the likely source of the man’s infection was a person who arrived from the US and attended special health accommodation after testing positive upon arrival in Australia.
But it’s still not clear how the virus managed to spread from that person to the eastern suburbs man who was confirmed positive on Wednesday.
"We can’t find any direct link between our (cases)," NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant said.
"So what we’re concerned about is that there is another person that is yet to be identified that infected our case."
Dr Chant said the health department believed the virus strain originated in India. However, it was not currently considered a "variant of concern", the term the department uses for certain highly transmissible versions of the coronavirus such as those that originated in the UK and South Africa.
The man visited a number of venues in Sydney before he realised he was infected, including a CBD restaurant where NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet was having coffee at the same time.
Mr Perrottet has tested negative for the virus but will remain in self-isolation for 14 days starting last Friday.
Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young has declared all visitors arriving from potential NSW COVID exposure sites must undergo hotel quarantine. The move will come into effect from 1am tomorrow, with police to meet with passengers as they disembark from planes.
It comes after Queensland Health on Wednesday issued urgent health advice to anyone who has been to a declared NSW exposure site and is currently in Queensland – they must quarantine at home immediately.
The fears of continued community spread prompted Ms Berejiklian to announce a raft of new restrictions for greater Sydney, including Wollongong, Central Coast and Blue Mountains.
The new restrictions will come into effect at midday on Thursday and will stay in place until 12am on Monday across the region
The restrictions include compulsory mask-wearing indoors and on public transport, limits to visitor numbers, a limit of 20 dancers on wedding dance floors and drinkers at indoor bars will be required to stay seated.
Ms Berejiklian said it was "business as usual" for anyone outside those areas and urged people to "be sensible" in a bid to control the outbreak currently plaguing Sydney.
"Maintain your good social distancing. Make sure you avoid large events if you’re vulnerable and make sure you exhibit good hand hygiene and most importantly make sure, if you have the mildest of symptoms, you come forward and get tested," she told reporters on Thursday.
"What is really critical to all of us in New South Wales is to make sure that we’re on alert."
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails