Truck 'chased' on wrong side of highway before crash
A truck may have been chased by at least one vehicle on the wrong side of a major highway before a horror crash killed a driver.
A 26-year-old man died instantly when his Honda vehicle collided with the Isuzu truck at Burpengary, north of Brisbane, on the Bruce Highway about 10.30pm on Tuesday.
The 46-year-old truck driver was taken to hospital in a critical condition after the crash forced the highway's busy northbound lanes to be shut for hours.
Police said they received varying reports regarding how many vehicles may have been following the truck in the 100 km/h zone.
"We have some evidence to support there was at least one other vehicle following this truck," Detective Inspector David Harbison told reporters on Wednesday.
Dashcam footage of the crash indicated the truck was travelling on the wrong side of the highway at "excessive speed" for about a kilometre, police said.
A vehicle following the truck kept travelling southbound down the highway's northbound lane after the crash, Insp Harbison said.
"If you were involved in this matter ... we need to hear that story," he said.
Police have not been able to interview the truck driver, who remains in a life-threatening condition.
The truck driver suffered multiple injuries that left a "dynamic and horrible crime scene" for first responders, Insp Harbison said.
"A young man has lost his life in horrible circumstances," he said.
"This should not have happened. Our hearts go out to the family and condolences to the family."
It was amazing no one else was harmed, Insp Harbison said.
"I think we all know the dangers associated with going down the wrong side of the Bruce Highway any time of the day or night," he said.
"I'm not clear exactly how they came to be coming down the north lane - we want to get to the bottom of how this happened."
The highway has since reopened, with a crime scene declared at the crash site.
Insp Harbison said anyone with information should contact police, noting many had been commenting about the crash on social media.
"If you have real evidence and dashcam please come forward, don't just comment on Facebook and social media," he said.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails