Residents have escaped without injury after a home went up in flames early on Tuesday morning in Perth’s south. Firefighters were called to Reveley Street, Waikiki following reports of black smoke billowing out of a home about 7am. Fire crews arrived at the brick-and-tile property to one resident outside attempting to hose down the flames which had engulfed the roof. A Department of Fire and Emergency Sevices spokeswoman confirmed the fire was sparked by an overcharged lithium battery, which began in the centre of the house and quickly moved to nearby rooms and roof space. About 60 per cent of the home was engulfed, before firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze at 8.30am. Statistics released by DFES earlier this year revealed the number of structure fires caused by lithium-ion batteries has almost doubled in the last two years. Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Darren Klemm said the growing prevalence of products powered by lithium-ion batteries was driving the increase, prompting him to remind the public to be aware of the dangers. “Since 2020, structure fires caused by lithium-ion batteries have increased in Western Australia by more than 85 per cent,” Commissioner Klemm said. “It’s a concern for us and the public needs to be aware of the risks. Fires linked to lithium-ion batteries, which are found in most household items and technology, tend to escalate quickly and are very difficult to extinguish, which means there is a high risk of property damage or injuries. A small fire caused by a lithium-ion battery can engulf an entire room in two to three minutes. “Our advice is to make sure batteries are charged in a safe place and on a hard surface, away from flammable items,” he said.