Vic brumby cull could be in doubt
A Brumby cull in Victoria's highlands might be subject to a new court injunction.
The cull was meant to start on Monday after a legal battle gave Parks Victoria the go ahead.
But AAP understands an application for an injunction could be made to the Supreme Court on Monday.
The Australian Brumby Alliance launched legal action against Parks Victoria culling the horses, but were ruled against in the Federal Court on May 8.
The group on Monday told AAP they were grateful for any parties willing to intervene, and said they had received support from NSW.
Phil McGuire from Omeo told 3AW on Monday he was planning to drive horses to his property for sanctuary "until Daniel Andrews was no longer premier".
Mr McGuire said he had already rescued some wild horses in the area and had the capacity to look after 150 brumbies.
Justine Curatolo, coordinator of the Protect Our Heritage Brumby Campaign said shooting the wild horses was not part of the original agreement.
"The plan was developed with community consultation; it is unacceptable that two years later, Parks Victoria will change it and add shooting when it was not included in the original plan," she in a statement.
Parks Victoria chief executive officer Matthew Jackson said by removing animals such as brumbies from sensitive landscape, native species stood a greater chance of survival.
"Parks Victoria regularly undertakes programs to manage deer, pigs and other non-native species, complementing feral horse management," he said in a statement on Friday.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails