Accidental fire causes extensive house damage

Geraldton Guardian

Geraldton firefighters are urging the public to take steps to safeguard their homes against fire after an accidentally lit blaze ripped through a family home in Wandina last Thursday.

Career and volunteer crews from the Geraldton Fire and Rescue Service were called out to the fire on Ocean Queen Drive about 1pm.

Firefighters entered the home and managed to bring the flames under control within about 40 minutes.

No one was injured but the house received extensive damage.

A Geraldton Fire Station spokesman said the house had working smoke alarms at the time.

“It’s a timely reminder to have working hardwired smoke alarms fitted to homes, to ensure that they are working correctly, and to keep ignition sources in a safe place away from children,” he said.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails