The demolition of the Batavia Motor Inne has been paused for a week after a fast and furious start to the project. The infamous eyesore on Fitzgerald Street started to be demolished on Sunday, September 24 and rapid progress was made during that first week. Within several days, three buildings had been flattened by demolition contractors Buhnu. There are two buildings which remain standing on the site. The project has been long-awaited after nearly a decade of inaction, and the public have been elated to see the magnet for crime and antisocial behaviour be torn down. City of Greater Geraldton Mayor, and next-door neighbour to the Batavia, Shane Van Styn said he had not seen any work on site since last Friday. Mr Van Styn proposed it could be an issues with securing a contractor during school holidays. “I’d say they’re having a well-earned break — they’ve been busy,” he said. Mr Van Styn said works had started at 6.30am and finished at 6pm and every morning before works started crews did a room sweep to ensure there were no squatters around. He said council was yet to receive any development applications about what the site will become. Part-owner Joe Scaffidi was seen at the site last week in a hard hat and work boots, which is believed to be the first time he has been photographed there. The owners, 54 Fitzgerald St Pty Ltd, have previously released concept plans to turn the site into a retail and office hub.