Bluff Point house fire: Children playing with cigarette lighter the cause of $250,000 blaze

Geraldton Guardian
The house on Railway Street, Bluff Point damaged by fire.
Camera IconThe house on Railway Street, Bluff Point damaged by fire.

Children playing with a cigarette lighter was the cause of a house fire in Bluff Point on Monday morning, which left a $250,000 damage bill.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said a report that the single storey house on Railway Street was on fire, with smoke seen in the windows and flames seen coming from the roof, was received at 8.11am.

Five fire crews were sent to the scene, and it took them about two hours to extinguish the blaze. No one was injured in the fire.

The spokeswoman said the cause of the fire was accidental, believed to have broken out when children were playing with a cigarette lighter.

Half of the house had flame damage, while 100 per cent of the house had smoke damage.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails