With the cool weather upon us, Geraldton firefighters have given a timely reminder for residents to check chimneys before lighting an indoor fire. The warning came after the service was called out to Snowden Street on Thursday morning to reports of smoke exiting the house. A spokesperson for the Geraldton Fire and Rescue Service said the tenant of the property had started a wood fire with the chimney blocked. There was no damage to the house, but a neighbour had called emergency services after seeing smoke come out of the house and not the chimney. “It’s an important reminder for homeowners to check their chimney before starting a fire because it can become blocked with soot or a bird’s nest,” the spokesperson said. “It’s not particularly common, but we do get a few during the cooler months.” The spokesperson said, despite the cool mornings in Geraldton, the tenant would not be able to set a fire to warm the house. “Unless he can talk the homeowner into getting the chimney fixed that is,” he said.