DFES says fire caused $150,000 damage to house in George Road, Geraldton

Gavin BoxGeraldton Guardian
The fire caused an estimated $150,000 damage, according to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services.
Camera IconThe fire caused an estimated $150,000 damage, according to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services. Credit: The Geraldton Guardian
A plume of smoke from the George Road fire blanketed inner Geraldton last night.
Camera IconA plume of smoke from the George Road fire blanketed inner Geraldton last night. Credit: Supplied

STORY UPDATE: A fire caused an estimated $150,000 damage to a house in George Road, Geraldton, on Sunday night – and also led to a drug charge.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said the fire started in the kitchen and entered the roof space, causing damage to about 30 per cent of the house.

He said there was nobody in the house at the time and the cause of the fire was an unattended meal.

Fire crews were called to the scene about 7.50pm and had contained the fire by about 8.30pm.

He said the cause of the fire was accidental.

Police said that when emergency services arrived at the scene to clear the property they found a small amount of cannabis.

A man has since been charged with one count of cultivating a prohibited plant.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails