Geraldton Aboriginal Family Law Service office evacuated after reports of smoke
The Aboriginal Family Law Service office in Geraldton was evacuated this afternoon following reports of a fire in the roof of the building.
A spokesperson for the Department of Fire and Emergency Services said someone called emergency services at 12.48pm to report smoke coming out of the roof and the smell of wood burning.
Five appliances from Geraldton Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and, by 1.14pm, reported no active fire remained.
Firefighters were seen removing tiles from the roof to get into the cavity.
The spokesperson said all appliances had left the scene by 2.04pm.
Andrea McFarland from the Aboriginal Family Law Service said the fire was caused by a ceiling light overheating which caused the insulation to catch fire.
“There wasn’t a lot of damage, the roof is getting re-tiled and an electrician has just replaced our lights with LED’s,” she said. “All good here.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails