The 71-year-old pensioner accused of slashing a woman’s face with a knife has had his bail changed to allow him to return home — just five doors from his alleged victim. On Monday last week, Charles William Cooper’s lawyer, Veronica Randell, requested the change, saying the elderly man was in the later stage of his life and just wanted to return to where he felt comfortable. “As you can see he’s quite frail and not a threat to anyone,” she said. But the court heard the 32-year-old woman he is alleged to have slashed lived in the same complex just 20m from Mr Cooper. The matter was adjourned by Magistrate Chris Miocevich who said he was not prepared to make the change without first hearing from the woman. “I have some sympathy for him but I’ve seen photos of the extremely serious allegations against him,” he said. On Thursday the matter returned to Geraldton Magistrate’s Court where prosecutor Sgt Beau Jones said police had spoken with the woman and her partner who “understood” Mr Cooper’s condition and were happy for him to return home. “They live five units down from him,” he said. “They’ve only asked for full protective bail conditions.” Mr Cooper reacted ecstatically when Mr Miocevich granted the bail modification. But he was warned that if he attempted to speak to or approach within 10m of the pair or where they live, he risked being taken back to prison. Police have alleged Mr Cooper became “enraged” at two people he was drinking with in his home on Sunday, June 12, before picking up a knife and yelling: “Get the f… out or I’ll kill you”. But lawyers for the man have put forward an alternative explanation of the incident, saying the woman and her partner broke into his home and he “defended” himself. “He’s asked them to leave and a wrestle has ensued,” lawyer Georgia Keysers said at a previous court appearance. “He accepts that he’s grabbed a knife and an intruder has been injured.” The matter will return to court on July 15.