Geraldton Speedway finishes season as Pro Modified light up the track

Jake Santa MariaGeraldton Guardian
Brad Ludlow was fortunately not injured after his car was engulfed in flames.
Camera IconBrad Ludlow was fortunately not injured after his car was engulfed in flames. Credit: Travis Petford Photography

The Geraldton City Speedway celebrated its final event of the season as Matt Bosveld took round one of the WA Pro Modified state title.

As the Geraldton racing season wound down the Pro Modifieds were heating up in more ways than one when reigning champion Brad Ludlow’s number one car was engulfed in a fiery inferno in his A heat.

After leading the way off the line Ludlow was cruising out in front when his engine caught fire at the start of lap six before quickly exploding into turn one.

Fortunately, he was able to quickly pull into the in-field and get out of his car without suffering any major injuries.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


“It didn’t look as bad from inside the car, but scared a lot of people when it happened,” Ludlow said.

“Thanks to all of the well-wishers to make sure I’m OK, thanks to all of the fire crew and ambos at Geraldton City Speedway to get the fire out and get me out of the car on the infield.”

Ludlow was able to still race in the feature by using his father’s number 34 car where he managed to take third place.

However, the first round went to Bosveld who worked his way to the front after a sluggish start to take the win by more than four seconds.

“I pretty much knew I just had to get to the front early on and drive smart from there and thankfully (it) came off and overall was a really good night,” he said.

“The crowd was awesome so thanks to them and the sponsors for a really good night.”

There was plenty of action in the support divisions as Jaeger Berry took the Junior F125 divisions at a canter finishing two laps in front of second placed Arliah Berry.

Only three finishers crossed the line with three DNFs.

Allan Beard won the senior F125 from Steve Kovacs who was the only other competitor to cross the line.

Steven Peaker won the battle of the junior and new stars more than 10 seconds clear of Samuel Tate while Ashley Baker crossed the line first in the production feature ahead of Jason Walsh.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails