Geraldton weather: Damaging winds forecast for later today
Geraldton and the Mid West could cop damaging winds when a strong cold front arrives later today, according to the Bureau of Meteorology.
The bureau warns damaging winds with gusts to 100 kilometres per hour, which could result in damage to homes and property, are possible in coastal parts from Kalbarri to Windy Harbour, including the Perth Metropolitan area from late tonight.
The threat of damaging winds would extend eastwards to include southern inland parts during Tuesday.
It says tides between Kalbarri and Walpole are likely to rise above the normal high tide mark with very rough seas and potential flooding of low-lying coastal areas tomorrow.
“The heaviest rainfall is expected in coastal parts between Jurien Bay and Walpole with only light rainfall over eastern inland parts of the warning area,” the bureau says.
“Locations which may be affected include Albany, Bunbury, Esperance, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Kalgoorlie, Katanning, Mandurah, Manjimup, Margaret River, Merredin, Moora, Mount Barker, Narrogin, Norseman, Northam and Perth.
“This front is expected to be windier than a typical front and affect a larger area.”
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails