On-the-ground recovery hubs and grant applications have closed down as the Mid West moves forward from the devastation of cyclone Seroja, which left a damage bill of more than $400 million. Seroja crossed the Mid West coast on April 11, with winds up to 170km/h destroying hundreds of homes and buildings in its path. Community recovery hubs opened in August 2021 to help the community rebuild, with staff providing assistance to residents over 5000 times, but now those services have ended. DFES deputy commissioner strategy and emergency management Melissa Pexton said recovery services on the ground shut down at the end of June at a stage when it was appropriate for local governments to take the reins in delivering recovery needs. “Support remains available for people who are still navigating cyclone recovery issues through their local government, local service providers and some State agencies,” she said. “The success of the Seroja community recovery hubs and the employment of local people highlighted just how important that service is. But the shining light has been the power of these Mid West communities and the extraordinary resilience they have shown in the face of such devastation.” Recovery and resilience grants closed on June 30, leaving current applicants with one more year to complete rebuild works before they’re cut off from the grants. More than 1090 grant applications were received across the four recovery grant programs, with only 336 grants paid out as of June 26. Ms Pexton said that number was expected to increase within the next year as applicants completed building works. “Applicants still undergoing repair and rebuild works to their properties have up to June 30 next year to complete all the works eligible through the grant programs,” she said. The Insurance Council of Australia confirmed cyclone Seroja insurers have received 10,057 claims, totalling $406m in insured losses. The council said 95 per cent of claims had been closed. As of May 29 this year, 312 resilience and recovery grant applicants were approved and $2.371m paid out. As well, $2.35m was dispersed to 112 primary producer grant applicants, $968,464 to 62 approved applicants for the small business grant and $43,041 to three approved heritage grant applicants. The amount paid out so far is nowhere near the $104.5 million relief package the Federal and State governments jointly announced after Seroja.