A man accused of sexually assaulting his teenage relative will remain behind bars after a Geraldton court refused to grant him bail to see his sick mother. The 30-year-old — who cannot be named to protect the identity of the alleged victim — is accused of assaulting the 13-year-old girl in a Mt Tarcoola home sometime in October 2021. Prosecutor Sergeant Beau Jones told Geraldton Magistrates Court the alleged victim had been sleeping on a mattress with a friend when her relative entered the room and laid down on the bed. The man is then alleged to have sexually assaulted the girl for about two minutes, with the incident ending only when the child was able to kick him several times in the head. He was subsequently arrested and charged over the alleged incident and barred from contacting the child. He was later charged with breaching this order after being accused of trying to call the child from custody. While he has not been required to enter pleas to the charges, his defence counsel Paul Gazia said he denied the allegations and wished to be released on bail. Mr Gazia said the man had been making good progress during counselling through a Desert Blue Connect program aimed at helping men who had previously been involved in violent domestic relationships change their behaviour. He said the man also wanted to address his history of alcohol abuse and care for his mother, who was suffering from heart problems. Addressing the court, the man said it was his mother’s “dying wish” for him to overcome his alcohol addiction. But magistrate Angus Hockton said it would be “inappropriate” to grant the man bail given the serious nature of the allegations. He was remanded in custody and will appear in court again on June 30.