Man charged after alleged stolen car rampage

Adam PoulsenGeraldton Guardian

A 28-year-old Port Denison man has been charged with a raft of offences after he allegedly crashed a stolen Ford Falcon into a Dongara restaurant and fled the scene.

Police said the man was driving along Moreton Terrace about 2pm last Wednesday when he lost control of the sedan and mounted a kerb before crashing into a support pole holding up an awning at Tokos restaurant and cafe.

He then allegedly reversed into a parked car and took off at speed.

The impact of the initial collision ripped the front bumper from the Ford, which helped police identify the vehicle.

The man was arrested about 5pm after police found him walking on Ocean Drive, Port Denison.

Police said he was under the influence of alcohol at the time of his arrest, but they could not be sure if he had been drinking before the crash.

He was charged with reckless driving, failing to stop following a crash, disorderly behaviour, stealing a motor vehicle, and stealing.

Police said the stealing charge related to an incident in October in which he allegedly drove off without paying for fuel at the Dongara BP service station on Brand Highway.

He will face Geraldton Magistrate’s Court at a later date.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails