Home

Meekatharra teenager accused of threatening to kill nurses during terrifying break-in last month faces court

Lachlan AllenGeraldton Guardian
A Meekatharra teenager has faced court, accused of threatening two nurses in their own home.
Camera IconA Meekatharra teenager has faced court, accused of threatening two nurses in their own home. Credit: Robert Garvey/RegionalHUB

A Meekatharra teenager has faced court, accused of threatening two nurses in their own home, allegedly telling them “we are going to kill you, give us your f...... money” as the women barricaded themselves in a bedroom during a terrifying break-in last month.

The 16-year-old-boy appeared via video link in Geraldton Children’s Court on Tuesday charged with aggravated armed robbery, aggravated home burglary and commit, criminal damage, destruction of property and steal motor vehicle.

Police prosecutor Sgt Beau Jones said the teenager would be looking at 15 years imprisonment for the same offences in the District Court.

It’s alleged the boy and a co-offender entered a unit on Haveluck Close in Meekatharra through a sliding door about 1am on September 20.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

The WA Country Health Service previously confirmed a “violent break-in” had occurred at staff accommodation in Meekatharra.

Once inside, police say one of the two females nurses awoke to find the teenager and yelled at him to leave.

As the co-accused left it’s further alleged they began throwing rocks at the address and smashed a window.

Some time later they returned to the property and are accused of smashing a glass door to gain entry.

The court was told how the alleged victims barricaded themselves in the bedroom, putting drawers up against the door.

Police allege the teenager attempted to smash the bedroom door with star pickets, repeating “we are going to kill you, give us your f...... money.”

But they were unable to get into the bedroom and allegedly stole a Toyota Corolla, which was later discovered crashed.

Sgt Jones strongly opposed bail for the teenager, highlighting the fact the 16-year-old is in a schedule two position.

Magistrate Angus Hockton said the offending was serious and he would not consider a bail application at that stage.

The boy will reappear in Meekatharra Court on October 12.

Meekatharra Shire president Harvey Nichols said the community had been shocked by the allegations, and hoped this would instances like this would not lead to vital workers leaving town.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails