Parvo warning as two dogs put down in Gero
At least two dogs have been put down in Geraldton in the past three weeks, amid a spike in the highly contagious parvovirus.
Parvo is a gastrointestinal virus that causes severe vomiting, high temperature and bloody diarrhoea.
Dogs contract the illness by touching affected dogs and playing in soil that has parvo-infected dog waste.
It can also be brought home if an owner steps in parvo-contaminated soil outside and brings it home without wiping their feet.
Sanford Veterinary Clinic’s Dr Virginia Grice said there had been a bit of a “parvovirus. storm” in the past month.
“There seems to be more cases when it rains,’ Dr Grice said.
“It brings the parvovirus up through the soil and then the dogs ingest it.
“A couple of dogs have already had to be put down.”
While parvovirus can be treated, Dr Grice said people sometimes choose to euthanise their dogs because they can not afford treatment which can cost thousands of dollars.
She added that people also commonly opted for euthanasia on humane grounds, as a dog may have lost a lot of blood and be in severe pain.
“It’s always very distressing,” Dr Grice said.
“No one likes to see their dog in pain.”
She urged pet owners to get their pooches vaccinated, calling parvovirus “completely preventable.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails