Rangeway attack: police focus turns to other possible teen targets
Police hunting a man over a “nasty sexual assault” on a 15-year-old girl in Rangeway believe he may have approached other teens and are urging them to come forward.
“I’m conscious that there may have been other events towards people in the same age group of the victim that for whatever reason went unreported,” Det. Sgt Tom Grieve said yesterday.
“It doesn’t have to be a sexual assault, but if something didn’t feel right, we want to know about it. We’re interested in anything that may have happened since the start of the year — it could be a suspicious approach or unsettling behaviour.”
Det. Sgt Grieve said police had been inundated with calls and CCTV footage since the attack about 2am on September 5, with one organisation alone providing 60 hours of footage.
“This particularly nasty sexual assault has clearly struck a nerve in the community,” he said.
Det. Sgt Grieve said anyone with information should still come forward because “it may be the missing piece”.
Police have released a composite image, pictured, of a man they believe can help them in the investigation, and are urging people with information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Meanwhile, Western Power has moved quickly to fix a broken street lamp at the scene of the attack.
A spokesman for the utility said the fault, which was not reported until September 7, was repaired along with three others last Thursday.
Verge vegetation was slashed on the same day.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails