Home

Snapshot in Time: From wartime foundations, the Geraldton PCYC has a history of community and youth focus

Ben MarshGeraldton Guardian
The Geraldton PCYC circa 1998.
Camera IconThe Geraldton PCYC circa 1998. Credit: Courtesy of Geraldton Regional Library

It was a club initially established in 1941 to keep boys occupied and healthy while their fathers were at war.

First known as the Police Boys Club, it then became the Police and Citizens Youth Club and ultimately the Police and Community Youth Centre.

Once located on the current site of KFC, the PCYC then moved to purpose-built premises on the corner of Gregory Street and Lester Avenue. Today, the Geraldton PCYC is at 105 Pass Street, Wonthella.

The Geraldton PCYC has been an incredibly active organisation for many years and has been host to some renowned athletes such as the Karate Do and Shotokan Karate 8th Dan Master Carl Marriot.

Another eminent figure was the pugilist Arthur “Sharky” Ryan, who taught generations of young people the sweet science and has been involved with the Geraldton PCYC since he was seven years old.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

Thanks to the inspiring dedication of these and other community-minded people, our local PCYC has been host to a healthy and diverse range of sports and disciplines and continues to promote sport and foster the youth of Geraldton.

Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information or to donate a historical photo or slide, contact 9956 6659 or library@cgg.wa.gov.au

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails