Spalding houses demolished in renewal plan

Geraldton Guardian
Demolition started last week to make way for a new road
Camera IconDemolition started last week to make way for a new road Credit: Facebook

Two houses and a block of units are being demolished in Spalding as a $9 million WA Government project to renew the suburb begins.

The vacant properties, described by City of Greater Geraldton Mayor Shane Van Styn as “no longer fit for purpose”, will make way for a road connecting Bogle Way with Mitchell Street.

The demolition is part of the McGowan Government’s $9m Spalding Renewal Project, which Housing Minister John Carey said will “improve the suburb’s amenity, and enhance safety and connectivity, making it a more welcoming and vibrant place to live”. The work is expected to be complete by next Friday, with road construction following soon afterwards.

“We’ve had a lot of consultation and listened to the community — now is the time for progress, so it’s fantastic to see works getting under way,” Member for Geraldton Lara Dalton said.

Mr Carey said the funding for Spalding would help deliver major refurbishments to dozens of homes, new road connections and footpaths, upgrades to existing road infrastructure, landscaping, and beautification of the area.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails