Inside Aussie TV stars’ biggest falls from grace
From game show hosts to beloved sitcom stars and cricket commentators, the past year hasn’t been kind to all of Australia’s biggest TV names.
Here’s a roundup of just how and who fell from grace.
Best known for his longtime gig hosting Channel 7’s Deal or No Deal, Andrew O’Keefe has more recently appeared on the small screen for much different reasons.
The 50-year-old was charged in Sydney this week, accused of grabbing a woman by the throat, punching, kicking and pushing her to the ground.
“The man allegedly assaulted the woman a second time – punching and kicking her – before she left the unit,” NSW Police said in a statement.
He has been charged with six offences including common assault, intentionally choking a person without consent and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
O’Keefe, a former White Ribbon ambassador, lashed out and shouted expletives at the media as he was driven away from court.
Former Australian Test cricketer Michael Slater was a success both on the pitch and for his enviable commentating career in the decades since retirement.
But fresh woes first came to the surface last year when a string of tweets criticising Prime Minister Scott Morrison saw him axed from Channel 7’s cricket coverage.
This was fall from grace was compounded when Slater was arrested in Sydney in October and charged with stalking and harassment offences.
He was then arrested for a second time in December after allegedly breaching an apprehended violence order by sending 66 text messages and making 18 calls.
The 51-year-old was granted bail and vowed to both check into a mental health hospital and not have access to a mobile phone.
Underbelly and Wog Boy star Vince Colosimo was all smiles when appearing at an Australian Open opening event in Melbourne last week.
But it comes just weeks before he is set to face court over allegedly being caught drink driving for the second time, which resulted in his car being impounded.
Victoria Police confirmed a 55-year-old Elwood man was charged with unlicensed and drug driving on St Kilda Road in April 2021.
“It’s alleged the man was driving unlicensed. He also underwent a drug test which returned a positive result,” the statement read.
“His car was impounded and he will appear before Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on February 14.”
Despite his alleged legal woes, Colosimo is set to appear on the next season of Celebrity Apprentice Australia.
Brynne has grabbed headlines since arriving in Australia as Geoffrey Edelsten’s blonde and bubbly bride-to-be in 2009.
But her biggest media misstep took place when she was arrested and charged with trafficking, possessing and using the drug ice in May 2021.
The loot was discovered following a raid at a suburban house in Boronia.
Edelsten was also charged with dealing with property suspected of being the proceeds of crime after finding a significant quantity of cash in her possession.
The reality tv star denies all allegations and has said she will “vigorously fight” them.
It followed an admission a year earlier that she had just lived through “the worst year” of her life.
“By the end, I’d gotten to the point that I felt completely broken as a person and had to find the strength to rebuild myself, my life and set boundaries,” she told the Herald Sun.
Last year also saw the death of Edelsten’s ex-husband Geoffrey at the age of 78.
However, 2022 could be a brighter spot for the 38-year-old after she announced the impending arrival of her first child last month.
“It was the furthest thing from what I was expecting,” she told New Idea.
“All I ever wanted to do in life was be a mum. I can’t make up my mind about anything, but I have always been sure of this one thing.”
Former Test Cricketer Stuart Macgill grabbed headlines last year in the aftermath of his dramatic alleged kidnapping.
The 50-year-old former spin bowler was allegedly forced into a car near his home in Cremorne on Sydney’s lower north shore on April 14 and driven 60km away to a dilapidated house at Bringelly.
Police have alleged MacGill was beaten and threatened with a gun before being released 40km away at Belmore. MacGill went into hiding after the incident.
Among the men arrested was the brother of MacGill’s girlfriend, Maria O’Meagher.
Police have repeatedly insisted Mr MacGill and Ms O’Meagher were not involved in any wrongdoing and described him as “purely a victim”.
MacGill later broke his silence on the incident in an interview with A Current Affair in which he said the ordeal had “taken a toll” on him.
“I know that I have done nothing wrong, Maria has done nothing wrong. If people choose to think something contrary to what’s been presented by both myself and the police, then that’s up to them,” MacGill told A Current Affair.
Originally published as Inside Aussie TV stars’ biggest falls from grace
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails