Medical mishap prompts mum to sign up for course

Geraldton Guardian

A medical mishap with a toddler and a $2 coin was one of the reasons Leah Hirst signed up for a free first aid course for parents.

“My son Lucas swallowed a $2 coin,” she said.

“At the time I freaked out. It turned out to be OK, but the coin took three days to pass through him and at the time my husband and I didn’t know what to do.”

The Geraldton mother has registered to participate in a free first aid and CPR course hosted by the Child and Parent Centre.

Funded by the Royal Lifesaving Society Association, the course is designed for parents and carers of children under five.

It will cover first aid for common childhood injuries such as choking, poisoning and burns.

“I think it’s great for parents to do this course,” Mrs Hirst said.

“A general first aid course takes two days, which is essential, but it’s hard to find that much time when you’ve got small children.

“This one is only three hours and the children are cared for while we do it.”

Mother-to-be Jackie McMahon said she enrolled in the course because she lived out of town and wanted to feel confident she could cope in a medical emergency.

“We all hope we’ll never be put in a position to need to save a baby’s life, but being a first-time mum soon, I just want to make sure I know what to do if the need arises,” Mrs McMahon said.

“I want to be able to act quickly and be confident I have the skills and knowledge, especially CPR, if I need it.”

Family support worker for the Child and Parent Centre Jennifer Edwards said the course would also help parents and carers, who were usually the first responders to childhood injuries, to recognise danger and prevent accidents.

To register for the free three-hour course, and crèche, on May 12, phone 0438 860 669 or send an email to cpc@edcentre.wa.edu.au.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails