Home

Kresley Bobby Samson in custody three months after alleged high speed pursuit in Meekatharra

Headshot of Fraser Williams
Fraser WilliamsMidwest Times
A man has appeared in court after a police pursuit from Perth to Meekatharra.
Camera IconA man has appeared in court after a police pursuit from Perth to Meekatharra. Credit: Anita Kirkbright / Geraldton Gua

A driver who was allegedly chased in a police pursuit from Perth to Meekatharra is in custody after avoiding arrest for three months.

Kresley Bobby Samson, 19, has been on the run from police since February 14, when he allegedly stole a car in Perth and made it all the way to Meekatharra.

He has been charged with never held a driver’s licence, being the driver of a vehicle failed to comply with a direction to stop (circumstances of aggravation), reckless driving to escape pursuit of police, stealing a motor vehicle, four charges of endangering the life, health or safety of a person, and breaching a police order.

Senior Sergeant Paul Morrissey told the court Mr Samson did not have a driver’s licence when he was allegedly driving the stolen vehicle.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

The court was told he had been driving recklessly with a co-accused in the back seat. When police directed them to pull over, the car sped away and started a police pursuit.

The car was recorded at 110km/h in a 50km/h zone and went up to 90km/h over the speed limit with multiple pedestrians around.

Police told the court the car was driven on the wrong side of the road and on a footpath with pedestrians nearby.

When a police car was parked in the way, the car drove towards it and swerved out the way at the very last second, hitting a curb and becoming airborne before crashing into a fence.

Mr Samson then allegedly got out of the car and ran away on foot, escaping police. He since avoided arrest for three months until he was found on May 11.

His lawyer Alex Mandis said Mr Samson claimed he had not been the one driving and was only in the passenger’s seat during the police chase.

Police said that there was significant evidence that Mr Samson had been driving.

“Extremely strong case with the DNA, officer identifying him, the phone and body cam footage,” Sen. Sgt Morrissey said.

The court was told Mr Samson’s phone had been under the driver’s seat, his DNA was on the driver’s seat and police had identified him when he got out of the car and fled on foot.

Mr Landis said Mr Samson had a limited record and the incident was “very out of character … not a reflection of who Mr Samson is, he instructs that it wasn’t him”.

Bail was denied, with Magistrate Troy Sweeney saying “in terms of strength of case, it is a strong case … despite his youth, there is no condition that I can impose that will sufficiently neutralise the terms of bail”.

Mr Samson is due back in court on June 14 for legal advice.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails