The owner of a vehicle that went up in flames while driving on a busy Geraldton road has thanked emergency services and the public for their assistance and confirmed everyone got out of the car safely. Cathedral Avenue was cordoned off on Tuesday morning after an engine caught on fire on a car towing a trailer while a man, woman and a boy were in the vehicle. The Department of Fire and Emergency Services received a call just before 11.30am with the caller reporting their car was on fire outside a recreational club. The driver was able to pull over next to the Geraldton Bowling Club and the occupants escaped from the car. Two crews from Geraldton Fire and Rescue Service put out the fire by 11.50am and firefighters determined the blaze to be accidental and caused by a mechanical failure. No one was seriously injured. In a post to Facebook, the owner of the car thanked the community who stopped and offered their assistance and confirmed everyone was “all safe”. “Thanks to the local police, fireys, ambos and CGG workers and also to the huge number of members of the public who offered their help and offered to drive us home or whatever we needed,” the post said. “What a great town we live in.” Police said the incident was not suspicious.