The family of four-year-old Brenten Comeagain, still recovering after he was run over and dragged by a car earlier this year, was in court on Thursday to witness the first appearance of the man accused of the hit-and-run. Police previously allege on March 14, Brenten, who was three at the time, was sitting on the front verge of a home on Aaron Close, Karloo, when he was hit by a car and dragged for an “undetermined period”. The driver fled the scene. Following extensive investigations by major crash detectives, charges were laid against a 47-year-old man last month — six months after the incident. Jarrod Heath Edwards appeared in Geraldton Magistrates Court for the first time on Thursday, facing accusations he was driving while impaired by drugs, careless driving causing grievous bodily harm and failing to stop. Brenten’s family, including his mother and uncle, were seated quietly in the back of the courtroom during the brief hearing. Mr Edwards, wearing high-vis workwear, only spoke in court to confirm his name and that he understood the charges against him. He did not enter any pleas. Duty lawyer Karen Ward requested an adjournment to submit an application to Legal Aid WA. The case was adjourned until Thursday, November 16 for legal advice and Mr Edward’s bail was renewed. Brenten received severe burns, a fractured skull in three places, a fractured foot, broken legs and other injuries to his face and pelvis and was taken to Perth Children’s Hospital after the incident. He remained in a critical condition for weeks and once discharged, required frequent hospital trips for months. In September after Mr Edwards was charged, the boy’s family said in a statement said they were relieved charges had been laid and wanted justice to take its course.