Former Today producer Tom Nicol pleads not guilty to rape charge
A former producer at Channel 9’s Today show has pleaded not guilty to raping a woman after a night out on the town in January.
Tom Nicol, 32, appeared before Downing Centre District Court by phone on Friday morning and entered the plea to one charge of sexual intercourse without consent.
“Not guilty, your honour,” he said after the charge was read aloud.
The breakfast show’s former supervising producer now faces a long wait to fight the allegation at trial, with a date set for more than a year away on October 4, 2022.
The court heard the trial is expected to take between seven to ten days.
Police allege Mr Nicol sexually assaulted a woman at his home in the eastern suburbs after a night out drinking on January 29.
He was charged over the alleged incident in February and has consistently denied the allegation.
Mr Nicol was previously stood down from his role at the Channel 9 program, fronted by Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon.
A spokesperson for Channel 9 said on Friday he is no longer employed by the network.
In a statement through his lawyer Mr Nicol said: “It‘s with a heavy heart that I have resigned from my position at the Today Show. I have left Nine so I can focus on the legal road ahead.”
He will remain on bail as he awaits trial.
Mr Nicol’s bail conditions initially required he stay home between the hours of 8pm and 6am but he successfully argued to lift the curfew in April.
The matter will return to court for a readiness hearing in mid-2022.
Originally published as Former Today producer Tom Nicol pleads not guilty to rape charge
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails