The first morning of the Armadale Line shutdown brought only minor pain for CBD commuters but Transport Minister Rita Saffioti remains “anxious” about the “potentially significant” disruption to come. The relatively smooth beginning meant little to morning commuters at Cannington, who said they were left “frustrated” by the delays the closure will cause to their daily routine. Monday marked the beginning of the 18-month shutdown and $2 billion transformation of train services in the south eastern corridor. A temporary bus interchange has been constructed on Cecil Avenue, but being 500m away from Cannington train station many Monday morning commuters were confused about where to go. East Cannington resident Shisham Katwar said she had known about the station closure for months but assumed the replacement buses would depart directly from the train station. Her usual 13-minute train ride from Cannington to school in the CBD now takes half an hour on the bus. “I’m feeling frustrated, it’s not easy because I have to travel so much longer now,” she said. Transperth officers working Monday reported everything about the transition was running smoothly and said commuters had been given months of notice to prepare for the disruptions. But like Ms Katwar, Cannington resident Minh Geyon — who was travelling to Joondalup for work — said her travel time had drastically increased. “Usually from my house to Joondalup it only takes 45 minutes, especially (because the) train from Cannington to Perth takes 15 to 20 minutes,” she said. “But now (the bus) from Cannington to Perth will take like half an hour. “My morning is so terrible now.” Ms Geyon said she had not been aware of the train line’s closure, which is expected to be in place for 18 months as seven new stations, elevated rail and an extension to Byford are added to the line. Elevating the line through Canning and Victoria Park will allow the removal of 13 level crossings. The first of those level crossings – at Mint Street – was dismantled at 5.30am on Monday morning, with the remaining 12 to sets of boom gates to come down over the remainder of the week. About 100 additional buses, 12 new bus routes and three temporary bus interchanges - including the one at Cannington station - are operating while trains are out of action. Transport Minister Rita Saffioti acknowledged some CBD workers may have elected to work from home this week and that it would take some time for the full impact of the closure to emerge. “I’m nervous. I’m anxious because I want this to go well,” Ms Saffioti said. “We understand this is the biggest project across the network ever. It’s very, very challenging. The disruption is potentially significant, but we’re doing everything we can to alleviate that.” The Transport Minister remained adamant the shutdown would not extend beyond 18 months, despite the complexity of the build – which has required the prefabrication of more than 500 L-beams that will be lifted into place by two custom-made gantry cranes. Once all of the boom gates are removed, seven existing stations will be demolished, the overhead lines will be pulled down and the existing track removed – with that stage of works expected to conclude by February. From there the L-Beams will be lifted into place to enable the laying of new elevated track, with replacement stations to be built at the new height.