A man will face a Perth court on Wednesday charged with numerous online child sex offences. Detectives from the child exploitation operations squad have charged the 39-year-old man with five offences in total. In a statement, police said it would be alleged that in November this year the man used various online sites to engage with a person he believed was a young girl aged between 12 and 13. “It will be alleged these online conversations were of a sexually explicit nature and that he sent images of a sexual nature,” the police statement said. The 39-year-old man from Heathridge has been charged with one count of intent to procure a person believed to be under 13 years for sexual activity, and four counts of intent to expose a person believed to be under 13 years to indecent matter. He is due to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court on Wednesday. The child exploitation operations squad is a dedicated new police unit set up earlier this year to better target alleged online predators, both overseas and in Australia. The new squad is made up of two teams, including the already established joint anti-child exploitation team, and comprises dozens of detectives and skilled analysts. The West Australian revealed earlier this year how a major operation carried out by the CEO squad saw eight people charged with almost 90 offences. Fifteen raids were carried out by CEO squad officers across Perth between May 1 and 5 as part of the operation, dubbed Operation Palomar. A total of 104 electronic devices — many of which were suspected to contain vile child abuse material — were seized during the 15 raids. The eight people charged were facing 89 offences between them including sexual penetration of a child, intent to procure a child for sex, distributing child exploitation material, and possession of child exploitation material.