St John Ambulance WA CEO Michelle Fyfe resigns after months of ramping and service delays

Madeleine AchenzaNCA NewsWire
Not Supplied
Camera IconNot Supplied Credit: NCA NewsWire

St John Ambulance WA chief executive Michelle Fyfe has resigned after copping criticism for record ambulance ramping and two deaths linked to service delays.

The state recorded its fifth-worst month on record for ambulance ramping in May.

A parliamentary inquiry last month recommended the ambulance service should return to the government if St John Ambulance was unable to improve its performance in five years.

WA Chief St John Ambulance Michelle Fyfe resigned. Picture: Facebook
Camera IconSt John Ambulance WA chief executive Michelle Fyfe resigned on Tuesday. Facebook Credit: NCA NewsWire

“We are not surprised the CEO has taken the decision to leave a service that has been run into the ground, on her watch,” United Workers Union national ambulance co-ordinator Fiona Scalon said.

“We welcome the opportunity for ambulance services in WA to be put on the right track.

“This is a crucial point in time for the WA government to take decisive steps to ensure ambulance services are run for the benefit of the WA community.

The WA government recently posted senior Department of Health and police at St John Ambulance headquarters to help with staff shortages.

Breaking News Breaking News St John Ambulance generic ambulance pics PerthNow
Camera IconTwo deaths have been linked to St John Ambulance service delays in the last month. PerthNow Credit: PerthNow

“The WA government needs to put the safety of the WA community as the first priority, which would be a welcome change for people in health emergencies and a welcome change for hardworking paramedics and ambulance staff,” Ms Scalon said.

Ashby resident Georgina Wild died of a heart attack in May after waiting more than two hours for an ambulance.

She was flagged as a priority 1, meaning an ambulance should arrive within 15 minutes.

In April, Geraldton woman Joan Hope died while waiting more than half an hour for an ambulance despite living in the same suburb as the ambulance service’s base.

Originally published as St John Ambulance WA CEO Michelle Fyfe resigns after months of ramping and service delays

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails