City takes precautions after crowd ban updated
The Prime Minister’s announcement today of a ban on non-essential indoor gatherings of more than 100 people has brought about a number of changes in Geraldton.
City of Greater Geraldton CEO Ross McKim said his staff were monitoring rapidly changing health updates on the coronavirus outbreak and making changes that prioritised community health and safety.
He advised changes to a number of City facilities, events and programming.
- Geraldton Regional Art Gallery will remain open, however public events including gallery talks and workshops have been temporarily cancelled.
- Geraldton Regional Library is still open but there will be no public events including workshops, children’s Storytime and Rhymetime, book sales, book talks, school holiday activities for the time being. Outreach services have also been temporarily cancelled.
- Queens Park Theatre will be closed from today until further notice. The Friends of QPT film TiPresentoSofia scheduled for Friday has been cancelled.
- Aquarena swimming complex remains open but a disco scheduled for Saturday, and all school swimming carnivals have been cancelled.
- Geraldton Multipurpose Centre remains open, however no new bookings will be accepted and current bookings of 100 or more have been cancelled.
- The visitor centre, civic centre and Mullewa District Office will remain open as normal.
- Geraldton Airport remains open but patrons should contact airlines in regards to flight changes.
- The Seniors Action Group will meet tomorrow to discuss programs continuation at Queen Elizabeth II Seniors and Community Centre.
- WoW Fest 2020 will not proceed as programmed.
- A number of other events and programs have been cancelled including: Anzac Day services (April 25), Sunset and Sunrise Yoga, Mullewa Muster and Rodeo (May 20) and Sundays by the Sea.
- The RAC Intellibus launch and experience in Geraldton has also been postponed.
- The youth diversionary program, Friday Night Football, has been postponed.
- Decisions about the city’s school holiday program will be made in the coming weeks.
- The city activation program in Rocks Laneway will be postponed.
People are advised to check for announcements regarding about the city’s programs, shows and events on the City’s website and social media platforms.
Accurate information on the COVID-19 coronavirus situation can be found on the Department of Health website.
Various resources for employers, schools and higher education, health, aged care, childcare, transport, travel and hotel sectors are available at the following websites:
- Commonwealth Department of Health
- WA Government Coronavirus page
National Coronavirus Health Information Line: 1800 020 080
HEALTH ALERT: This coronavirus article is unlocked and free to read in the interest of community health and safety. For full access to Geraldton Guardian journalism, subscribe here.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails