Born in Bolton, England, on September 10, 1842, Dan Marsh was a well-known figure on Geraldton’s Marine Terrace in the late 1870s, where he would make and mend just about anything a customer required. Mr Marsh moved into the district upon receiving his ticket, where he started working for Jonathon Coe in his blacksmith’s workshop in Elwys Street (now Cathedral Avenue). When Mr Coe lost his sight, Mr Marsh took over the business and looked after him until he died in 1885. Later that year, Mr Marsh returned to England and legend has it the English authorities paid him £1000 as compensation for wrongful imprisonment — a rare occurrence indeed. Upon returning to Australia, Mr Marsh established a foundry with machinery and skilled workmen brought over from England. Business thrived, leading to the opening of a store selling groceries and draperies and a two-storey building on the foreshore where drays, wagons and carts were built. In 1891, Mr Marsh bought a steam launch to provide a ferry service, a steam-powered lighting plant, the first in Geraldton, and went on to buy the Geraldton Brewery in 1906. He and his wife Louisa had five children: Daniel Junior, William, Samuel, Emma and Hannah. Mr Marsh died in Geraldton on June 25, 1928. Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information or to donate a historical photo or slide, contact 9956 6659 or firstname.lastname@example.org.