Tea light candles cause $350,000 of damage to family home in Wandina

Headshot of Kate Campbell
Kate CampbellGeraldton Guardian
A fire-damaged house in Wandina.
Camera IconA fire-damaged house in Wandina. Credit: The Geraldton Guardian

A house fire in Wandina that left a $350,000 damage bill overnight is believed to have been caused by tea light candles.

Firefighters were called to a family home on Ackland Road at 12.17am on Friday and it took about half an hour for crews to get the blaze under control.

The four-bedroom, two-bathroom brick and tile, single-storey home was 40 per cent damaged by fire, with 100 per cent smoke damage, according to a spokeswoman from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

The cause of the fire at this stage is believed to be unattended tea light candles, she said.

Police and St John Ambulance were also called to the scene, with three people treated for smoke inhalation, but no one was injured.

It was reported that seven people were in the home at the time the fire broke out.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails