COVID-19 infections continue to fall in SA

Tim DorninAAP
Premier Steven Marshall believes SA's COVID-19 infection rate is heading in the right direction.
Camera IconPremier Steven Marshall believes SA's COVID-19 infection rate is heading in the right direction. Credit: AAP

South Australia has reported another fall in COVID-19 infections providing further evidence the Omicron wave may have peaked.

SA reported 2009 new cases on Monday, down from 2062 on Sunday and 2193 on Saturday and the lowest daily total since December 30.

That presented SA as a model for how to change the trajectory of the outbreak, Premier Steven Marshall said.

"It's really pleasing that governments around the country, around the world, are looking at what we've done in South Australia," he said.

"Every South Australian can share a great sense of pride for a job well done so far."

Of the new cases, 1469 were detected through PCR swabs and 540 through rapid antigen tests.

The state has 294 people in hospital, including 29 in intensive care where six are on ventilators.

There were also two more deaths, a woman in her 40s and a man in his 70s, taking SA's toll since the start of the pandemic to 69.

Mr Marshall said Monday's number came as 3509 people were considered to have recovered from the virus in the past 24 hours.

That left SA with 27,991 active infections.

However, he said the steady fall in cases could be impacted over the coming days by the gradual lifting of the work from home advice and the return of some students to school next week.

From Thursday, offices have been told they can welcome back up to 25 per cent of their workforce, with some restrictions including mask-wearing indoors.

The first students return for face-to-face classes from February 2.

Mr Marshall said those two changes would be factored into the latest modelling on the trajectory of the current outbreak.

The modelling would also consider what impact relaxing other restrictions could have, though SA was unlikely to move quickly to ease all its measures.

The state's COVID Ready Committee was expected to look first at cutting the limits on elective surgery followed by a possible move on density limits for most venues, currently set at one person to every four square metres.

Mr Marshall said the density rule impacted employment numbers and he remained committed to getting as many people back to work as possible.

The 10-person cap on family gatherings was less likely to be changed in the short term, something the premier said "might not be popular with some people".

"We can't remove all restrictions at the same time. That would just lead to a second and damaging wave in South Australia," he said

"The really pleasing stat is that we now have a very much reducing daily positive rate.

"I genuinely feel South Australia is heading in the right direction."

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails