Home

Christopher Andrew Anderson: Geraldton man who used payphone to harass women pleads guilty to fresh charge

Lachlan AllenGeraldton Guardian
A Geraldton business owner who used public payphones to sexually harass women across the country for almost 10 years is back in custody after he pleaded guilty to a new charge.
Camera IconA Geraldton business owner who used public payphones to sexually harass women across the country for almost 10 years is back in custody after he pleaded guilty to a new charge. Credit: Anita Kirkbright / Geraldton Gua

A Geraldton business owner who used public payphones to sexually harass women across the country for almost 10 years is back in custody after he pleaded guilty to a new charge.

Christopher Andrew Anderson appeared from custody in Geraldton Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday charged with using a optical surveillance device to record a private activity.

The 58-year-old-man was granted home detention bail last month after pleading guilty to 13 counts of using a carriage service to menace, harass, or offend.

Police prosecutor Sgt Paul Birkinshaw said Anderson used a video watch to record private activity to which he was not a party to. The offending occurred from August 1 to August 31, 2019 in Deepdale.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

Anderson pleaded guilty to the charge, with his family watching on in the back of the court.

The court was told the recordings were discovered after police seized Anderson’s electronic devices.

Lawyer Julia Gray said they were still waiting for disclosure material from police and didn’t wish to proceed at this stage.

Police opposed bail, citing that a witness of the offence was currently residing in Anderson’s home detention house.

The court was told the witness was not happy for him to return home and a bail application has been deferred.

Ms Gray argued that the offence pre-dated bail and would have been included with the other charges if discovered earlier.

Police said they’re not opposed to varying his home detention and a new report will be issued.

Anderson will reappear in court on September 5 for legal advice on the current charge and for sentencing on the 13 counts of harassment.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails