Fridge motor blamed for $50k blaze

Headshot of Adam Poulsen
Adam PoulsenGeraldton Guardian
Firefighters at the scene of a house fire in Karloo on Monday afternoon.
Camera IconFirefighters at the scene of a house fire in Karloo on Monday afternoon. Credit: Adam Poulsen

A burnt-out fridge motor has been blamed for a fire that caused about $50,000 damage to a Karloo home last week.

Residents called triple-0 after noticing smoke coming from the roof of a single-storey unit on Jacob Place about 12.15pm on December 30.

Firefighters responded immediately and had the blaze contained just 12 minutes after it was reported.

“I was out the front forking the lawn and then I heard a pop of glass — like a window,” Jacob Place resident Diandra Stickland said on Monday.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


“I looked over and there was smoke coming out of the roof.

“A guy from behind me noticed the smoke first, and then we just called the fire truck.

“We tried banging on the windows and doors, but there was no answer.

“We’re assuming she’s (the occupant) gone away because we haven’t seen her for a week at least.”

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokes-woman said the fire started in the kitchen.

She said it was believed nobody was home at the time.

Firefighters had the blaze under control at 12.27pm and it was extinguished just before 1pm.

Four appliances from the Geraldton Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Geraldton Fire and Rescue Service attended.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails